The Civil War has always been a passion of mine and something in which I enjoy reading and learning on a daily basis. I am in many ways a Confederate sympathizer, not for the purpose of slavery of course. I am about as far away from being racist or prejudice, I personally believe in a single race, the human race. Yet I feel the South was correct in many of their reasons for leaving the Union. They personally felt that the Federal Government has become too commanding over the daily affairs of the people's lives, and to honest they were correct. I personally believe in a small government which in turn was the same thing the Confederacy believed. Sadly the Confederacy is looked upon as a bunch of racist bigots who felt that slavery was necessary for survival, but nothing could be further from the truth. Many Southerners did not care about the issue of slavery, even the officers which were wealthier didn't have slaves. To be completely honest the Federal Army nor the Federal Government cared that much for the African American. The Confederacy was fighting for states rights, the Federal Army was fighting for the preservation of the Union, all the while the slave was left out of the issue. Even Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation left huge holes on the issue of slavery. Yes, Lincoln was the Great Emancipator (Jesus Christ actually was the one in whom died to set men free from the shackles of sin), but even Lincoln was divided on the issue of slavery. Let's be honest, if there was a way for the Union to remain in tact with slavery then it would have survived, but sadly that wasn't the case in point. The issue of slavery didn't become a dominant "fighting" issue amongst the average fighting man until the year 1863, and even then the common soldier (North and South) didn't particularly care either way on the issue. Slavery is one of the most evil institutions in the history of man and I thank God that in the end the Federals won. Sadly the Federal's victory didn't end the issue of racism and "Black Rights", that would take another hundred years to resolve (and it is still being resolved today). The South simply had better generals that fought a smart warfare despite being outnumbered three to one at times. I am simply in awe of how these men defied the odds and were able to find great victory in the first two years of the war. But what else causes me to admire the South during the war? Well......
Yet another reason why I am a Southern sympathizer is because of the amazing faith of the Confederate Generals and officers. The South has always been the Bible Belt of the United States. Many liberals look down on the South because of her "awkward" and backward ways, but I find the South to be appealing due to the greater freedom found to share the Christian faith. The North has become a fairly desolate wasteland for the Christian Faith at the start of the Civil War and has remained in it's spiritually dead state since. Now I am not saying that the Federal Army did not have any serving Christians, but simply looking at both sides you can clearly see that the South had more outspoken Christians then the North. Generals like Lee, Stuart, and Jackson stand as some of the most famous generals in American History. Their fame will always live in infamy, yet we always study their tactics and victory but we never examine their faith. Faith is a huge part of American History. Our Constitution was built upon the faith of our Founding Fathers, our earliest leaders were nearly all devout Christians (notice I did not say perfect men), and we today remain a branch of those faithful men and women. Now the Christian faith in the United States had fallen away of late, many abandoning the faith to go to the reason of man or to worship "secular humanism." Whatever the cause might be we cannot doubt that their is an epic drift from the faith and I think we see that drift starting in the years prior to the Civil War. I personally believe if we want to return to the great country that we once were that we have to do as the book of Chronicles tells us, to repent and turn from our wicked ways, to humble ourselves before Almighty God and recognize our sin as sin, and to simply trust Him and God will heal our land. I also think that we must return to our roots, those men of faith who so bravely fought. This is just an introductory blog on the Civil War in general. Many of the issues that I have already posted will be expounded in the future, but I wanted to take time in this first post to mention Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. Jackson is my favorite general in the Civil War, and not just because of his bravery and success, but mainly because of his faith. I would like to share a quote for you from the movie "God's and Generals" about Jackson's faith. Some might argue if this is an exact quote, but it is "Jacksonist" through and through. The quote goes as follows:
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me." He added, after a pause, looking me full in the face: "That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
We find this quote after the first battle of the Civil war, the first battle of Bull Run/Manasses. Jackson was a man who liked to lead out front, in the direct line of fire (much of the reason in which Jackson would face an untimely death). Jackson would lead out front, he would stand firm as bullets would wiz overhead, he would stand firm as canister shells erupted near him, he would remain steadfast that God Almighty knew his death date and there was nothing to fear. This quote teaches us something about the Christian faith, we are just as safe in our bed as we are in the battle fray. God knows our death date to be sure (He has the hairs counted on our head) and we should not concern ourselves with our death date. Instead we need to do as Jackson did, live a life faithfully for God. We need to live in regards to a state of faith and hope and peace, we need to stay focused on Jesus Christ and Christ alone. This is what propelled Jackson to be the brave man he was, this is what caused Jackson to gain the great fame which was due unto him, and that is why we call him Stonewall. When others fled he stood like a Stonewall!! When we are assaulted by the fiery darts of Satan I encourage you to be a "Stonewall" for Jesus. Stand firm, fight the good fight, and worry not about your end, but instead focus on the battle today. Remember that for those of us that are blood washed by Christ that we are going to heaven. Jesus came and paid our high price with His precious blood and He gave us the victory. I pray that you are not just hoping for eternal life, but instead I pray that you are secure in your eternal life. Christ desires that we know the power of His resurrection, He desires for us to know that He holds us in the palm of His hand, and we need to be like Jackson, fighting bravely on the front lines.
Thomas Jackson would die in 1863 and as he died he received the promise in which God made to his heart many years ago, Jackson went home to be with his Savior. Will you go to be with your Savior too? Will you be going to heaven? If not I encourage you to make a decision for Jesus soon, for tomorrow might be too late. To the Christian, realize that you have been enlisted into the Lord's Army and we cannot afford to entangle ourselves with the affairs of this world, instead let us be steadfast and zealous for Christ our King. Let us keep our eyes toward heaven, for tomorrow could be the day He returns.....are you ready?


No comments:
Post a Comment